A few years ago I wrote an article titled “81%.” The article came from the following statistic: 81% of women who had an abortion said they would not have aborted if the man involved had been supportive.
Here is another statistic I want to share: 100% of abortions involve a male. While it may seem like common-sense, every pregnancy involves both a woman AND a man. Every woman facing a pregnancy had the help of a man.
By the way, did you know that 51.2% of babies are male? So, abortion is not just a woman’s issue. It’s a man’s issue. To be fair, it is a HUMAN issue.
Men, it is time for us to stand-up and lead! You were created to lead. So, reject passivity, accept responsibility, and take some initiative. Here are a few things you can do – in no particular order:
- Pray for widows, orphans (James 1:27), and single mothers by name. Then, see if you can help them in some tangible way.
- Get involved at a local pregnancy center. Go for a tour of the facility. If you have a wife and kids, take them with you. Have age-appropriate conversations with your kids about this issue.
- Be a volunteer. Have you ever considered that the woman who is at the pregnancy center was likely brought by the father? What’s he doing while she is in the doctor’s office? Probably sitting in the lobby. You could simply be a friend. Provide a listening ear. “I hope you don’t mind me asking, how are you doing? You okay with all this?” When my wife was pregnant with our first child, I had a million things running through my mind and I needed someone to talk to! You could be a voice of reason for a guy who is likely freaking-out.
- Give some money. Planned Parenthood is funded by the government. Your local pregnancy center is not. They need your support in both time and money.
- Go see the movie “UnPlanned.” It is very well done. It’s a difficult movie to watch, but you should go see it.
If you are pro-choice, and are still reading this article:
- Thank you.
- PLEASE go see the movie! Attend with an open-mind, and be willing to see this issue from another perspective!
If you are a man who is facing a pregnancy (i.e. your girlfriend or wife is pregnant), fight for the life of your child! Do not encourage an abortion, and do not force her to make this decision alone. Be kind and loving, and promise to support her and your child. Then, be a man, and keep your promise!
Men, it’s time we stop allowing women to fight over this issue. This is a human rights issue! It’s a man’s issue. As I tell my sons, “Men help those who can’t help themselves. We stand-up for those who cannot stand-up for themselves.”